Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 12:13:16 EDT
I want to thank the people that have responded in regards to that baby in
CA--- when I read the first post-- my jaw hit the floor, I stuggled with it
at church and with my family at dinner.  I began to wonder when this childs
"breastfeeding" story would hit the newspapers. ?1. Why is this mother so
biased against receiving medical care for her infant. 2. 1 lb. weight loss is
not normal and therefore breastfeeding is not normal-- even if infant appears
to be on the breast, they frequently do not have the energy to breastfeed
"well"  ( how would you feel if you lost 10% or more weight in a week?) 3.
The staph/strep thing  has me very concerned, over the years I have seen
several infants die from beta strep,( one recently was a 6wk old fullly
breastfed infant) its not pretty. 4. The infants temperatures described are
not normal no matter how hot it is. 5. I hope this mother gets help soon for
her infant because I am concerned that the only herbs she will be dealing
with are the ones on her infants grave. 6. If this mother continues to try to
avoid treating the infant and you continue to work with her
breastfeeding---is your liability insurance paid?
Karen Querna, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Spokane WA