From:
Del Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:01:52 +0800
Hi Jaye and all,

If this child has an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Sensory Issues then
it's very possible that the child is selecting foods on their appearance (eg
colour or mushiness), and/or texture in the mouth and on the way down,
and/or smell, and/or hot/cold; and/or what it feels like to pick it up. If
he's eaten them before (even once) he may "remember" the affect they had on
his "feeling", his gut, his bowel senses, etc. It can even be what plate
it's on or the spoon/fork he eats it with, or if the wrong foods touch each
other on the same plate. To most of us this seems weird but to
children/adults with ASD or sensory issues and their parents it's a daily
trauma.

A child/adult with either of these may also "hear" food or see food in a
different way to "normal" people. Their experience of the food can be
discomfort, painful, fear, nausea, etc and perhaps in a different way than
NT (neurotypical) others experience them.

Examples from my own ASD kids - the younger one chooses foods that are
predominantly white, brown or cream colour; things that are crisp are
preferable; mushy/watery are definitely OUT (cause him to retch!! even to
look a them); will not go within metres of red meats (again will retch);
will not even physically touch unfamiliar foods (this causes great
distress). He doesn't eat "junk" food which is unusual for an "ordinary
fussy/picky eater". The older one seems to have grown out of many of his
food "sensory" issues - I wonder if this was related to the fact he WAS
diagnosed with coeliac at about 4 1/2 and went onto a very strict gluten
free diet - perhaps his body is less sensory sensitive now that we
eliminated one component that was causing his body grief.

Both my boys had gagging when introducing solids at around 6 months -
neither had consumed anything except breastmilk before that time. If the
parents think deeply they may find there are other issues of sensory nature
such as sounds, fabrics, smells, etc.

There are vitamin supplements in capsule from (she could break them open
into something he likes to eat) or vitamin liquids. There are companies that
make hypoallergenic vitamins especially for this group of individuals. If he
will drink shakes then this is a great way to get them into him.

There are plenty of websites that describe sensory issues. If you do a
search you will find the exact same types of concerns with parents around
the world. Occupational Therapists can help a lot with this. Here is just
one website which has some strategies that may be helpful for this mum and
her son. http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/irca/Medical/mealtime.html

A topic very close to my heart, hope this helps in some small way,
Del
Del Smith
Breastfeeding Counsellor
Australian Breastfeeding Association www.breastfeeding.asn.au
Married to Kevin and Mum to two gorgeous boys Courtney '96 and Dylan '99