From:
"Dr. Alla Gordina" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2019 12:56:17 -0400
This question is near and dear to my heart on so many levels.
I started practicing in (then) Soviet Union and saw the Elista tragedy
developing from a position of pediatric dermatologist/venerologist. As
adoption physician I was involved in the aftermath of HIV crises in
Romania and Kazakhstan. And the major reason I became lactation
consultant was interested in adoptive breastfeeding (Hi, Karleen! ;D)

The possibility of RVT - reverse vertical transmission (baby to
mother) of infectious diseases is extremely poorly researched. There
are myriads of reasons for that. On one hand in developed countries
the possibility of baby being newly infected and then infecting the
breastfeeding mother is extremely low. On the other hand in the same
developed countries (at least in the US) the adoptive breastfeeding of
foster children is fiercely prohibited and the only situation when
this question can openly arise is with newborn adoption. So
information is sparse and mostly presents as case reports. But still
some data is available. I can not find my old notes (I do remember
reading about RVT of hep B and CMV), but anyhow I am way overdue for
this project so I did request a literature search on the subject from
our hospital library. Will let you know what I had found.

The best reported and researched was HIV outbreak in Elista in early
1980's and we know that there was a significant amount of mothers
infected there: https://europepmc.org/abstract/med/2143611 [1]
"...
65 cases of HIV infection were detected and all of them were traced to
the focus of hospital infection (56 children and 9 adults: 1 man and 8
women; of these, _7 WOMEN CONTACTED THE INFECTION FROM THEIR INFECTED
CHILDREN IN THE PROCESS OF BREAST FEEDING_).
"

Hope that helps.

Pat, do you have any info in your database?

Alla
Alla Gordina, MD, IBCLC, FAAP

Links:
------