Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:21:56 EDT
Yesterday I taught another college class, this time for community health
education students. It was 28 females and 2 males. It was interesting the
difference between this class and Tuesday. Tuesday was mostly male, pre-med. They
asked more medically indicated questions, and were more reserved. This class
yesterday was wide open, very talkative and funny. When we discussed barriers, one
student said Bfing causes your breasts to sag. Lots of agreement.  So when we
discussed it, I mentioned how the size and condition of your breasts may be
affected by factors such as obesity, exercise, genetics, etc.  At least 8 girls
then asked variations of the question "If I am this big, how big will I get"
(breasts) and one girl said " my mom is huge, this big ( demonstrating with her
hands) and my dad's mom is teeny, tiny-about a B. I'm in between right now so
which one am I more is more genetically inclined to be like".  It reminded me
of when I worked at the Health Dept and taught puberty classes in the 5th
grade school classes. The 5h graders were always obsessed with their breasts,
more so then their periods. I guess it is a sign of the times that the most
publicized breasts are either Paris Hilton (very small) or Pamela Anderson (very
large, surgically altered). We discussed public perception of breasts.  When I
told them that Pamela Anderson had breastfed her babies, one of the guys said I
had just ruined his image of her as a sex goddess, now all he can imagine is
her nursing a baby!! I told him that a woman can be both a sex goddess and a
mom and they all groaned and said oh no. One girl said she was sorry but she
thought the whole idea was icky.  I discussed with them that as professional
health educators they will be working with people with STDs, HIV, obesity, drug
addictions, tobacco use, and other health problems that may make them feel
uncomfortable (also known as icky) but their job will be to provide education,and
provide support for the decisions to either change or stay the same, without
being judgemental.  Isn't that what LC's do also?
We did 7 small groups activities, including one in which they have to design
a Bfing Task Force and develop World Breastfeeding Week activities.  Their
suggestions included Home School Association representatives on the commitee
which I thought was an interesting idea that I haven't thought of before.  They
said alot of Home school moms breastfeed and are always looking for creative,
educational activities for home schooling.
Three students came up after class and wanted to know how to be a LC.  They
were very excited and I suggested they start by volunteering at the public
health center WIC breastfeeding program.  That program has pretty much collapsed
here in our county but I am hopeful the WIC director will let them do something
to promote bfing.  When I was the BFing Peer counselor program coordinator
there in the early 1990's I had anywhere from 2-6 volunteers students, 2 of whom
went on to work as RDs and IBCLCs.I wish some of you were close enough to use
these students. They appeared very interested and energized. I would hate to
lose them because there is no one to mentor, lead and direct them.
If you ever get students who want to volunteer, you can always find something
for them to do. For example they can create a parents' newsletter, update
your research files, create a bulletin boards, organize handouts, etc.
And it really grieves me that I cannot work in the profession that I love so
much due to the latex allergy.
As you can tell, I love teaching!
Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC