From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 06:46:05 -0400
Another thing about "nurse-brain".  I think what you see is the effects of
being a "beginner" at BF on the continuum of "beginner to expert".  Because
BF is not the central part of a nurse's job, it's not high on her list of
priorities.  Her time span as "beginner" is much longer than those who are
immersed in BF day in and day out.  Brenner wrote a fascinating book about
Beginner to Expert.  Can remember the title off-hand.  By reading it, we
all  would get a better understanding of where others are on the continuum
and maybe be less critical  and more "mentoring" to those on the beginning
end of the BF knowledge spectrum.
LOL !  Did you point this discrepancy out to her?
>  First that she will only hire an IBCLC who is a
> RN, and in the next breath that her nurses hate helping mothers with
> breastfeeding.
Sincerely, Pat