From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:00:27 -0500
Hi All,
Both IBLCE and ILCA have looked into this issue extensively and I believe
are continuing to do so. I presented an 18-page analysis of this topic to
the ILCA board in 1995 at the conclusion of my research into an
accreditation program for professional lactation education. Here's a brief
summary:

Professional and occupational regulated titles are a means of "public
protection." Licensure is the most restrictive; certification and
registration are less restrictive but still offer a means of protection to
the general public. Not all "professions" are regulated, and not all
regulated occupations are considered "professions."

There are only two legally protected titles pertaining to breastfeeding (in
the US): (1) La Leche League LEADER, and (2) International Board Certified
Lactation Consultant. All others are unregulated, and as such have no
public protection built into them. Protected titles have valid entry
requirements, liability insurance available, and some form of disciplinary
mechanism to remove unethical/incompetent practitioners. Both are
international credentials and therefore have more validity (because of
treaties like GATT and NAFTA).

There are many "common uses" of other terms and titles, especially
"breastfeeding peer counselor" which do not offer protection
(predictability) the the public. Other terms are only as legally
defensible/valid as the person "wearing" them or the program "conferring"
them.

Linda Smith, BSE (academic degree), IBCLC (international certification),
FACCE (Certification)
Dayton Ohio