From:
Mary Coutts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:24:06 -0500
I sometimes hear that the mother wanted to be induced.  IMO when a doc
says to a mom who is feeling a little uncomfortable and anxious to have
the baby (aren't most moms come 38 weeks?) we could induce you next
week....Sure there's probably going to be a great number who will say,
yes.  If doc suggested it, it surely is ok. Just like when a well
meaning nurse walks in and sees a fussy baby at the breast with a tired
mom and asks if she would like her to take the baby to the nursery and
give just a little bit of formula so mom can sleep.....I see most moms
again saying ok. And perhaps thinking, " If a hcp offered or made the
suggestion, it must be ok.  After all, don't they know more than me?"
And then I find on the chart, "Mom stated she wished to supplement." BIG
SIGH.

IMO, due to the competition between local hospitals, hospital employees
are all the more encouraged to "make the customer happy" and pamper mom
for a few days before she goes home."Letting her sleep" while someone
gives just one bottle is one of the ways it's done.  I also think that
inductions could be a way of "making the customer happy" syndrome too.
Just my one of many guesses.  BIG SIGH