From:
Melissa Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:59:17 -0700
Hello colleagues,

I am working with an 2 week old infant that has been diagnosed with
Hirschprung's (I sent them to the ER after a home visit at day 4 PP when
parents reported that infant had never stooled or passed mec).  Last week
she had half her colon removed and this week she is beginning oral feeds.
The hospital wants to see the baby be able to take 3oz feeds within 30 min.
in order to be discharged.  I agree the infant should be able to handle
almost 20-24/oz intake per day now (she was 10lb 8.5oz at birth), however I
think that smaller, more frequent feeds (for example 2-2.5 oz 10-12x/day)
may be a better goal for this dyad.  I have been gathering up some
information for this family to present to their primary caregivers but most
information available on infant intake guidelines per feed is mostly
relevant for the first week after birth.  If any of you have some useful
information about small, frequent feeds being more advantageous in this
case, please send me off-line.  I have already presented them with the ABM
guidelines on supplementation, Nil's Bergman's work from GOLD 2011, etc,
etc.  I am mostly looking for support that the daily intake goal can be
spread out over some more frequent, smaller feeds rather than the proposed
"3 ounces every three hours taken in 30 min.".  Thank you.

Melissa Cole, IBCLC

www.lunalactation.com