From:
leibovich Haim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Apr 1998 17:52:38 +0300
I'm a bit surprised at this discussion about a "recipe book" on bf
problems. There are numerous such books in other fields of medicine. These
are not the big textbooks, but manuals, and there is a manual for
gynecologic problems, orthopedic problems, dermatologic problems and so on.
Of course there are many investigation and treatment options for every
clinical situation, and this is where the knowledge of the person reading
the manual comes in. All medical situations don't have ONE solution to
every problem, and these manuals usualy list the different DDs
(differential diagnoses) according to how common they are, and offer an
organized path of investigations to perform in order to solve the problem.
I deffinitely think such a book on bf problems could be a great idea,
something like "Problem Oriented Manual for Bf Problems". After all there
now is a field called Bf Medicine, and there exists The Academy for BF
Medicine.

 Maybe the problem is that many things in this field don't have lab tests
to prove their existance, like thrush of the breast, retained placental
fragment, not enough breast tissue, etc. and many diagnoses rely on
history, experience and anecdotal evidence.

Maybe I'm wrong, and there is a lot of exact information around, and if so
- PLEASE would someone start writing this recipe book - I'm sure this would
be great success. Very often I feel just like others wrote - what now?,
only I am the physician, and I'm supposed to come up with the right test or
treatment for a problem.

Sorry this is a bit long, but I hope it clarified the issue.

Mira Leibovich, MD
Israel