From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:10:21 -0400
Subject: Dr. Brian Palmer ­ My Œsort of¹ response to the AAP¹s Pacifier/SIDS
Policy.

In August of 2005 I authored an article that was published in a sleep
magazine in Germany.  The magazine was mailed to all the sleep doctors in
that country.  Last December the article was republished in the Journal of
the European Lactation Consultant¹s Association.  This month, July 2006, it
was republished in ŒBreastfeeding Review¹, the Journal of the Australian
Breastfeeding Association.

The reference for the article is: Palmer, B. Snoring and Sleep Apnea: How It
Can Be Prevented in Childhood. Breastfeeding Review. July 2006;14(2):11-14.

The article is also downloadable from my website at:
http://brianpalmerdds.com/pdf/Master_2_27_06.pdf

I call it a Œsort of¹ response to the AAP Pacifier/SIDS Policy because it
was published 3 months PRIOR to the policy being published in Pediatrics, so
it was never intended to be a Œresponse¹ to the policy.  The article does
discuss the significant and possibly deadly consequences of using a
pacifier.  Deadly in that it could possibly cause a malocclusion that could
put an individual at risk for developing obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
OSA, which can affect both children and adults, has many consequences and
side effects including high blood pressure, heart attacks, stroke, irritable
children, ADHD, and falling asleep while driving.  OSA is getting more and
more media attention, and will have a major impact on health care costs over
time.

I personally believe the AAP Pacifier/SIDS policy position that all infants
be put to bed with a pacifier in his/her mouth for the first year of life
will be a major embarrassment for the AAP and the policy will eventually
have to be retracted.

I would encourage you to download copies of the articles and give to your
co-workers, and other health care providers, especially pediatricians and
sleep doctors.  Permission to copy or reprint the article is built right
into the article at the end.  I believe breastfeeding will be elevated to a
new level of importance once more people understand the importance of the
actual physical act of breastfeeding to orofacial and airway development,
and that the act of breastfeeding can actually decease the incidence of
snoring and sleep apnea.

For Better Health!

Brian

Brian Palmer, DDS