From:
Celina Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2012 10:31:53 -0400
And would it be like a nipple shield which we see babies becoming hooked on?  so then it may become double trouble, mother not feeling confident without it.. baby not wanting to nurse without that silicone nipple and the metal sensor (which doesn't look too flexible by the picture on fb.. little metal thingy at the end of the "smart nipple"... )

though perhaps that baby in the picture has a shallow latch because that sensor is so darned uncomfortable against the palate... And maybe all this gadget will measure is how much of mom's milk will be transferred without proper suckling..

Kind of like sleep studies.. who doesn't wake up 700 times a night with 50 electrodes stuck to their scalp and a 3 lead heart monitor and O2 sats mon. stuck to their finger..?

Not so sure it will present an accurate measurement of what baby is really doing at the breast.. think our clinical skills including observation of mother and infant as well as pre and post weights when indicated will yield better assessments.

Concerning if gadgets like this are being marketed directly to parents.

Microchips in the nipple are next.. I can see it.. with info being transmitted right to controlling entities (which will probably be controlled by industry) a new version of Orwell's 1984.. I'd laugh out loud but I'm not sure it be all that funny or far away without a strong movement supporting natural and intuitive parenting.

Just had a flash of "We are The Borg - it is futile to resist" and a cyborg breast..

Off to kick back and relax with my visiting daughter #3 and her wonderful fiance who are here in NH for a few days visit from Red Deer, Alberta..

Celina D, IBCLC, LLLL