From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:48:13 -0500
Do any of you who work in hospitals have printed info you give out about
sleeping with baby?  To make a long story short, one of the nurses objected
to the statement "many parents sleep with baby the first few days or weeks"
that was in the breastfeeding record sheet we give to parents.  She was
afraid somebody would roll over on a baby and the hospital would be held
liable.  Since we are presently revising The Going Home Book we give
parents we added a nice section on "Safe Sleep Sharing" we took from the
AAP statement and Dr. Sears' ideas in _The Baby Book_.  Thought this would
cover things nicely and give much more information to parents than what we
now do verbally.

However, the word has come down from the hospital's liability carrier that
the section must go.  Apparently they have deemed it wiser from a legal
standpoint to say nothing than to say how to safely sleep with your infant.
 And of course, that sentence in the breastfeeding record sheet must go,
too.

I am, of course, unhappy about this, and wondered if anyone else had dealt
with this situation, or whether you have printed info on sleeping with baby
that has gone unchallenged.  Let me know, and thanks.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC, Appleton, Wisconsin