From:
Deborah S-Q <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:45:57 -0400
Yes I realize Debi that other variables could have played a part in the
pacifier/duration of breastfeeding study; however, the percentages were
significant.As for bottles,pacifiers etc. it would be difficult to ascertain
absolutely that cessation of breastfeeding is the cause, of course, when
there are underlying problems that may have resulted in the use of these
"tools".  However, don't you think that the use of the bottle, that is easy
& culturally the norm, could a) be too comfortable a thing to switch to if
breastfeeding problems aren't being resolved "quick" enough, & b) cause a
mother to lose confidence in her ability to breastfeed when baby seems to
"prefer" the bottle, or feel that perhaps it doesn't matter if she
breastfeeds if baby is doing well at the bottle. Perhaps other feeding
methods might not yield such temptation. I am glad to hear that most of the
women you work with work through the problems and continue to breastfeed.
However, statistically, duration of breastfeeding isn't very long in the
U.S., & probablly not much better in Canada, is it?  Not that I am saying
that this can be blamed on bottles, but I think they play a part, sorry I
do!
Bottles and babies go togetherin our culture, even the pacifier thing, if
new mothers were only more aware of how often babies can feed, & still be
normal, & not go reaching for that pacifier....oh well, will get off my
soapbox!
Deborah Sowery-Quinn
Canada