From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:52:23 -0600
When there is little or no transfer of supplement with an SNS one can try
releasing the tube that is not being used.  I have had many calls about
babies' taking very long to feed with the SNS. One dad (engineer) said that
baby's sucking created a vacuum inhibiting milk flow.  His baby was visibly
partially collapsing the flask. We released the other tube, taping it to
Mom's shoulder so that it wouldn't drip and baby drank fine with a small
tube. She later just tucked the other tube under her bra strap.

I had an adoptive mom last week who was greatly discouraged about her
baby's frustration at the breast with the tube but with the bottle he was
feeding fine.  I suggested that she release the tube and call me back.  The
return call was filled with joy and surprise that something so simple would
enable her baby to feed at her breast.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]