From:
Segev Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 23:44:14 +0300
I have been following the salmonella discussion with interest,
since I have the impression that salmonella is pretty common here
in Israel (maybe because I hear about it from my family on a
kibbutz, which is basically a farming community). I have several
questions for anybody to pick up on: WHYEVER would the doctor
recommend stopping bfing a baby with salmonella?
I read that many different animals can get salmonellosis (hence
the poss infection from that Easter egg) - in addition, can
an animal act as a vector? Could this baby have "caught" it from
a pet who brought the nasty bug into the house from outdoors on
his paws? Does the baby crawl and put his hands in his mouth?
Does he play in an outside sandbox? Hope these questions, which
immediately came to mind, help. If I am way off base, sorry. Know
how they say you turn into your mother? Reading this over, I am
grinning all over my face, remembering how my mother had fits
when my husband "introduced" each of our newborns to our pet
dog...... Seriously, animals do not wash their paws, and once a
baby starts crawling, you have a lot to consider when looking for
source of infection. PS: I AM a dog and animal lover and we now
have two dogs. All three of my kids have had ringworm infections,
and one got rickettsia, but not from our dogs, from a puppy that
was not cared for. My personal opinion is that pets are almost
a must for kids, but that special vigilance is required to
protect said kids. Judy Knopf