From:
Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:31:21 -0500
We know that CMV virus can be found in breastmilk.  We know that healthy term infants don't have a problem with this infection.  We know that some premature infants can become very sick when infected with CMV, from breastmilk or any other source.  We routinely give CMV-negative blood to our immuno-compromised patients, such as bone marrow transplants for the same reason that these doctors want to give CMV-negative breastmilk to these vulnerable babies. Note that they did not conclude that CMV positive mothers should not breastfeed, only that the virus should be inactivated.

Of course, this does beg the question of whether exclusively feeding breastmilk from Day 1 would protect these babies from CMV transmission just as the Coutsoudis study showed may happen with HIV or is it simply a question of prematurity putting these babies at risk, regardless of whether they are exclusively breastfed or not.

Don't think that this study is an attempt to sabotage breastfeeding.  It simply addresses an infection which can pose problems in the NICU and can be transmitted through breastmilk.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]