From:
Linda Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 22:49:44 -0400
First, commercial formula is WAY more than just skimmed milk powder
and added sugars. They add necessary fats, including coconut or a
similar one and less-wonderful fats than those in Weston-Price's
formula. They reduce the protein levels, balance the whey/casein more
favorably (but in varying ratios) and add taurine and cysteine as these
specific amino acids are insufficient (and brain damage can occur). They
add vitamin C, E, selenium, manganese etc. They reduce the
phosphourous and calcium, potassium and salt.

Weston Price's formula is not low in folic acid nor iron. That's what the
yeast is for. The process of making whey for the recipe leads to nicely
broken-down protein (fermented) (if you have time to do this) and
balances the casein/whey nicely. All the added ingredients help to
reduce the protein and some other factors and the overall
carb/protein/fat ratios are good although the formula is still too high in
phosphorous and too low in manganese, according to my personal
estimations, and these are at the least: who knows what else? When
100% of diet from birth, this is scary.

I'm all for bucking industry and going organic, raw etc. but the formula
industry has put in 100 years of research with at least hundreds of
scientists and made delicate improvements to their formula constantly
and still do today --- constantly reducing the greater mortality and
bringing development closer to human-fed babies. Of course, there's
still a large gap but it has a proven track record and personally I'd be
afraid to give my baby something with very few test babies behind it.

Myenberg has a "formula" on Dr. Sears' website that is just
condensed/powdered goat's milk, water and sugar. They state in fine
print at bottom of page that it's only for 6 months and older and that
one could add a multi-vitamin, but it's named "Infant Formula" in large
predominant print at the top of the page. YOu want dangerous?
This "formula" is frightenly low in fats and imbalanced in all kinds of
ways. This given to a baby from birth would be a little better than
unaltered animal milk (which may have a 50 to 70% mortality rate when
exclusive from birth), but is very risky still, unless a child has plenty of
other foods in  their diet.

This is all an interesting new trend and I'm eager to see how it goes.

linda palmer, dc
author "Baby Matters, What Your Doctor
May Not Tell You About Caring for Your Baby"