From:
tim nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:10:14 +0200
Keren Epstein-Gilboa's reply was masterly.  I would like to add anecdotal
evidence that around 3 months is seems a *particularly* vulnerable time for
babies to have something else added to the diet.  This is what I wrote to
someone about my November 2001 work in a low income clinic:

"The mothers of the younger babies (3 months or below) usually know about
exclusive breastfeeding, especially if they delivered at P--- Hospital.  One
mom who delivered at T---  didn't know about exc bf. (T---- Hospital is the
one having a big push to produce better pump sterilisation techniques, and
they are also reproducing Anna Coutsoudis' research - but claim that it is
impossible to get even one mother exclusively bf.  Perhaps because they
haven't explained the concept???)  After 3 - 4 months, they are generally
adding something to the baby's diet.  Hard to pin down what goes wrong at
about this age.   Many report that the doctor advised them to add artificial
milk if they or the baby were ever ill. I'm fairly sure that I seldom get to
the bottom of the story."

Remember that these are low-income mothers who are not sending their babies
to daycare, who are usually not working, who do not have access to much TV
or magazine advertising.  And yet even THEY fall prey to the pervasive
notion that babies can't survive on breast milk alone.

Since then, I've thought further and postulated that these are possible
reasons for adding something else (not always formula in this low-income
setting) at about 3 - 4 months

* Growth spurts ("I don't have enough milk").
* Boredom, desire to leave the baby with someone else (particularly as so
many of "my" mothers are teenagers).
* Lack of information on expressing/storing milk.
* Misguided medical information.  Should the mother or baby become ill in
the first few months, breastfeeding is the first thing to be sacrificed -
maybe not in Israel.
* Family influences - esp the grandmother of the baby, who may have
"successfully" reared 4 - 10 children in the 60's or 70's.
* Lapse of time between antenatal instruction and the realities of fulltime
mothering - ie lack of ongoing support.

I believe that seeing advertising around this time will add pressure.

Patricia wrote
"SOmehow, at least the posters in the us i can not seen being used in a day
care so... it may really be a non issue...don't day cares usually post
educational pics?"

Let us not be fooled - companies can develop advertising material "just like
that" and they are incredibly efficient at targetting the weak spots.
Nestle has a whole series of useful non-bf "we are the good guys" posters
for schools, with the famous name prominently displayed.

There is certainly a local (and maybe international) artificial milk ad
perfect for daycare settings.  It shows a toddler reading a newspaper with
the message that the DHA added to Wyeth artificial milk improves the brain.
In fact, a nurse who discussed the ad with me said that she had heard one
mother tell another that it seems like a good idea to use this milk to make
their kids more smart.  This particular ad comes with a ruler up the side to
measure growth - another subtle message.

Many mothers of babies at daycare will go on to have other babies.  Or the
staff will, which outlines why the whole community needs to support
breastfeeding.  I forget the year, but one World Bf Week theme was about
breastfeeding being everyone's business.  The booklet outlined the roles
that different sectors could play - the media, workplaces, schools, the
family.....it was not just the responsibility of the medical establishments.
Well worth reading!  I've lost my copy, but perhaps it is still obtainable
from WABA.

The simple fact is that artificial milk advertising should not happen
*anywhere*.  And I think it's terribly sad that this powerful women's
organisation uses such a flimsy excuse that one day they *might* need
sponsorship and it could only come from the formula companies.  I call this
DENIAL.

Ellen, please don't feel attacked by my letter.   I believe we all know how
hard it is to keep strong in the face of all the negativity.  In the end you
may just be able to take baby steps towards the final goal, but I hope that
this helps your own resolve.

Best wishes!
Jacquie Nutt
South Africa