Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:53:15 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (67 lines)
Here's my 2 cents re: nipples.

When I first started teaching bf about 4 years ago, I recommended the "wide based nipples, like Avent or Evenflow Elite".
(Because of the wide latch)

In my own personal experience as a full time working mom (working "outside of the house": of course, _every mom_ is a working mom!) I found that with child # 2 that the NUK worked better and is so much more practical, and interchangable with pump parts and cheap walmart 4 oz bottles.  (it's nice to have one system that all works together, instead of angeled bottles, big nipples, etc)

So, from personal experience:
* baby #1: started with Avent til about 4-5 mos, got fussy, switched to Eveflow elite, which he used at bedtime til he was three (and yes, he is still nursing at 4 1/2!)
* baby #2: started with Avent, til about 5 mos: day care ladies at the base suggested the NUK because she seemed fussy, she loved the NUK (quit the bottle at 13 mos)
* baby #3 (now 11 mos old): started with the NUK from the beginning

With baby #3 I've used the cheap walmart nipples, the NUK, the Evenflow elite, the Munchkin, and she just doesn't seem to prefer one over the other)

We were given a second nature by the rep and tried it on the way to the LLL conference here in WA, with me pumping in the front seat and baby drinking from a bottle in the back seat.

It is completely "drip proof", and has lots of little holes like the end of a nipple.  It "sprays" if you try to compress the milk out, the way the breast does when pumping. The liquid only comes out with sucking. It does have a weird, flat end.  My baby seemed to do fine with it.
It also comes with a soft spout that's supposed to be a transitional spout/sippy cup.  I put water in it and tried to drink, and you really have to clamp down and suck hard to get out the liquid (harder than my older kids' Playtex sippy cups).
I'm not sure if it's really better than a simple "standard" bottle and nipple.

The main point that I teach is to make sure the nipple is a slow flow.  I like the tip that someone gave to just try whatever mom gets for her shower.  I also recommend just getting one, not a whole set, and trying it out.

Renee Mercier RN IBCLC
hospital based LC and
retail owner
and mom to 3 nursing kids

PS: I don't have any financial interest in the NUK, although we do sell Medela products.

www.babyboat.com

Date:    Wed, 6 Oct 2004 21:43:18 -0400
Subject: nipples

Has anyone seen the nipples called second nature?  I just saw an ad for
them, and wondered if they would be any good.  I was thinking of picking
up a set since there is a store locally that sells them.
http://www.regallager.com/secondnature/

Brenda Dalton RNC
9 days and counting.

>
>

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2