From:
John Vanek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:18:16 -0800
I am currently a hospital LC. This hospital did not require an RN
license but did require IBCLC. My surpervisor feels she has learned in
the past 2 and 1/2 years that being an RN has made a significant
difference especially since the 2 RN, IBCLCs have strong NICU
backrounds. On initial consultations we have picked up murmers,(one baby
coded within minutes and died of hypoplastic left heart). The mother
came back extremely grateful since the baby was immediately sent to the
NICU by the RN/LC and mom felt that action gave her 2 additional days to
grieve with her baby vs. coding at home. We have also picked up
hirschsprungs, pyloric stenosis, numerous hyperbili's, etc.. Also being
in the hospital and making rounds on a daily basis we have also been on
the scene of distress with the mothers in her room. I'm not saying that
being an RN makes a better or more experienced consultant, but being an
RN, (*just as a MD, PT, OT), adds a valued dimension. Also, as unfair as
it may be, it adds credential to what we recommend to the other RN's and
MD's.