Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 16:13:49 -0600
>At our hospital, we are working on some treatment protocols  and patient ed
>handouts for thrush,.  At my old facility, we recommended gentian violet as
>the first line Rx.  The NICU LCs here have expressed some hesitation about
>gentian violet for their moms, because people have reported pumping purple
>tinged milk during treatment, and have felt concerned.  Does anyone else
>have experience with this?  Jack, do you want to weigh in here?

Well, Yes, there certainly will be purple-tinged milk when treating the
breast and nipples with gentian violet.  That is part of the point--to be
sure that baby ingests some of the GV in the milk while the nipples and
breasts are coated with purple too. The yeast overgrowth that is being
treated is throughout the baby's GI tract and treatment needs to be
thorough in both mother and baby.

If anyone has ever used GV, she will know that there will be purple milk,
purple bras, purple baby face, purple fingers, purple tongue, and even
purple *dreams* during the treatment period.

But the stuff WORKS!!

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]