From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 09:25:23 -0600
I wholeheartedly agree with Gloria Buoncristiano regarding the need to
implement a DOD wide BF policy.  Wouldn't the Kaiser Permanente study on
cost savings of BF be a good place to start?   What about Jan Riordan's
1997 JHL article on the cost of not breastfeeding?  My interest in this
issue is not just as a breastfeeding advocate but also as a US taxpayer.
Think of the money to be saved on WIC formula, infectious diseases, etc !

Other persons working with US DOD hospitals may be able to comment on this
one, but it seem to me that the DOD is looking to use more contractors
these days and presently have funding for it.  The rationale for this is
that it is cheaper to hire a contractor than paying for things like
benefits on a DOD civilian worker.

For example, I work as a contract nurse on L & D at the local military
hospital a few shifts each month.  Maybe a contract postion for an LC may
be one approach.  I know there are also some LCs who are working as staff
nurses at DOD hospitals-not optimal but it's a start.

I agree that a civilian LC position would be the best choice to provide
some continuity re:  breastfeeding practice in the military community.
Only 25% of patients are still BF at the 2 week checkup, which I think is
part of the problem.  Other than a postpartum follow-up phone call, these
patients receive no follow-up until that check-up.  The PNP at this
hospital now has a 2 hour BF clinic 2 days a week.  Again, not optimal, but
it's a start.

As an aside, I recently talked to a military mom who was returning to work
soon.  I asked her what type of work environment she was in and what kind
of work support she had.  To make a long story short, she said her first
sergeant's wife had nursed all four of their children well into toddlerhood
and was most supportive of her efforts to work and BF!  Sometimes the
support comes from the places one least expects.  Boy, was I surprised!!!

Happy New Year!

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
Birth and Breastfeeding Resources
Manhattan, KS  USA