From:
Anna Swisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:02:37 -0600
Just caught the tail end of this thread with Nancy's post including this
gem:

<As Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
<committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed it is the only thing that
<ever does."

In 1963 and 1968, my sister was told by her doctor that it was all right for
her to smoke, because then she would have a smaller baby.

I think I am going to use this as an icebreaker with staff inservices to
remind us all of how perceptions of what is benign can change with
education.

This same doctor told my sister, when she complained of cracked, bleeding
nipples one month postpartum, "You don't need to be a cow, anyway.  I'll
give you a shot and dry you up."

One statement that keeps me going when I am discouraged wrt the state of
birthing, mothering and breastfeeding in the US is what Mother Teresa said
(rough paraphrase): "God did not call me to be successful.  I am called to
be faithful."  That can be interpreted as being faithful to one's
understanding of one's life work, in my case, (and so many Lactnetters:-)
supporting mothers in breastfeeding their children.

Warmly,

Anna Swisher, MBA, IBCLC
Abundant Blessings
Austin, TX