Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 03:34:48 -0600
At both the hospital that I work in and the community childbirth ed group that I teach at, putting the baby to breast to relieve "engorgement" from not breastfeeding is encouraged as an option.  Many of the moms in the community group have done so and went on to exclusively (or at least partially) breast feed for weeks, if not months.  Especially for our NICU population, we strongly encourage mothers to pump to provide the colostrum, at least while they are in the hospital, as it is the ONLY "medication" that we cannot provide, but they can!!! Some do, others don't, but we let them know that it is an option and that if/when they are done, we will help them down-regulate to stop supply.

Brenda Enfield, RN, IBCLC
Cedar Rapids, Ia