Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:32:56 EST
In a message dated 3/12/00 9:27:18 AM EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< The occupational therapist and the speech clinician who are supposed to
 give this child therapy, have told the mom that the child has no
 motivation to learn to feed himself or to speak because of his "constant"
 nursing. They threatened not to continue treating him, that it is wasted
 time, as long as he keeps on asking to nurse during the sessions. They also
 told the mom that she must see a psychologist because it is "obvious" that
 she (mom) is the one who wants to continue nursing, that she has some
 problem. They said that this mom must "sever" herself from her baby in
 order for him to move forward developmentally----!!!!! >>

Perhaps this mother should ask her child's therapists for their references,
saying that she needs to see the research on which they base their
recommendations and that she won't act on their advice until she has seen
peer reviewed evidence published in a reputable journal.  In the absence of
such evidence their recommendations represent cultural biases, not science,
and this mother has a complaint she can take to their superiors.

I think they have the greater obligation to prove their assertions but if she
wants evidence to support prolonged breastfeeding, I suggest Katherine
Dettwyler on the natural age for weaning.  It was published in La Leche
League's NEW BEGINNINGS and is probably available on the LLLI website.  I'm
sure a search of LACTNET archives would reveal other good references too.

Alice Martino
in central New York State
"Illegitmati non carborundum" -- which is Latin-of-sorts meaning "Don't let
the bastards grind you down."