From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 1997 10:07:53 -0600
Just for the record, I have never chastised a mother who bottle fed or
even brought up the topic of breastfeeding with anyone.  I only discuss
it when asked.  I never try to push anyone to breastfeed in any way and
I'm sorry if what I said implied that.  I especially would not judge
anyone who had extenuating circumstances.  Sometimes just knowing that I
have nursed my adopted babies makes mothers feel guilty, but I have
never asked them why they weren't nursing or questioned their decision.
I even avoid nursing in front of any bio mom who is bottle feeding to
avoid making them feel guilty.

It just really bothers me because I  know the harm that comes from
artificial feeding.  I know it is largely society's fault, that we see
it as a casual decision like whether to choose the steak or the chicken
off of a menu at a restaurant.

I know that it is a decision made frequently without all the facts.
Many times, if women consult magazine articles or books, they find a
list of "pros and cons".  I know there are extenuating circumstances
but, in most cases, there just aren't any "pros" of bottle feeding that
hold water.  One of the main ones given is convenience.  I've seen
countless women wean early or start bottle feeding immediately because
they think it will be more convenient.  Then, they spend all of the
extra time that they aren't spending nursing and more caring for babies
with ear infections, chronic diarrhea, etc..  Neither gets any sleep and
both are miserable.  One friend of mine weaned her sixth baby to the
bottle at six weeks, thinking that this would help her be able to get
her work done with her other children because the older ones could feed
the baby part of the time.  She did this with the best interest of all
of her children at heart.  However, for the next two months, she was up
all night with a severely ill infant who had diarrhea so severe that he
lost about 15% of his body weight when he should have gained that much.
This friend just had her seventh baby and she is again overwhelmed with
work and spending most of her time nursing.  But she has no intentions
of bottle feeding this time.  I think if people in a position to do so
would be a little more forthright about letting women know that
artificial feeding actually does mean spending more time with a sick
baby in most cases, some of them would be more willing to try it.

Maybe it bothers me more to see women choose to artificially feed
because I have to work so hard for every ounce of breastmilk I get.  I
guess it is similar to the way someone who is struggling to make enough
money to keep her children fed and clothed feels to see other people
squandering money on useless things.

Aloha,
Darillyn