From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 1998 11:17:41 -0400
Hi All,
  Gee, it is so great to be back, as J. Simpson said, you guys help keep me
motivated, excited and learning.
  On two threads recently about slow weight gain and plateau of breastmilk
production - having suffered through two swg babies - I have learned more
than I care to know. My personal recommendation beside the obvious of
checking the actual nursing pattern for a 24 hour period, is for mom to do a
personal history of her & baby's father's growth pattern as infants (be sure
to indicate whether bf or formula fed and/or when switch occurred) and be
very aware of health situations or problems. For us, my hubby & I both had
serious health problems as infants and swg and both of us were formula fed.
In reality, when compared to us, our two 'problem' children really had
better, more stable growth and no health issues until weaned. Next avenue is
allergies. As we all have allergies, food included, I am very sensitive to
the problems, much of what America eats and calls 'food' causes, especially
our most vulnerable members.
  I struggled with the supplementation issue, as my children were nursing
well and growing - just very slowly. Fortunately for me, I had developed a
very bad attitude and would ignore most of the comments and 'advice' given.
Finally I was able to sit down with a couple of the MDs involved and
completely express my feelings. After a check of the family history, the
realization that we were working with serious allergy issues and realization
that I was watching my childrens growth and behaviors, we came to a clearer
understanding of the situation. While none of the MDs I've worked with,
acknowledge my belief that people can be allergic to what they eat, we were
able to avoid supplementing my 3rd child and #4 until after her 1st birthday.
   What I learned is that supplementing is like any tool we use for
breastfeeding situations, it is a double edged sword and can cause more
problems, rather than helping. I feel some HCPs are just too quick to
supplement and some parents are too ready to rely on others for the care and
responsibility of their children. Supplementing can be the cause of the milk
production problems, just as scheduling, limiting breast time, pacifiers
etc. can all affect milk production. My recommendation for moms when it
comes to supplementing is to use as little as they can and only to ease
worries of starvation or dehydration, not to use it to feed or fill up baby.
   For Jessica, the military hospital where I had my 3d child did indeed
give me a package of sealed bottles of sugar water, done up just like the
package of formula. They told me that this was the 'breastfeeding mothers'
gift pack. I threw the whole thing away. As it came with literature about a
certain formula brand and a can of powdered formula, I figured that they all
came from the same place, and had the same intention in mind, to undermine
breastfeeding.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY