From:
Susan Kasten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 11:59:26 -0800
I am so glad to see this thread being discussed.  I have found many Moms
to be open to new information.  However, I find many of the nurses are
not open to the research in lactation.  I have started using my
nutrition class when I was in school as an example.  I had nutrition in
1965-66 school year.  It was an excellent class and I learned a lot.
Yet, I cannot use most of what I learned there in my practice today.
Things like organ meats and eggs were being treated as fabulous sources
of protein.  Cholesterol?  While it existed, it was not important.  I
cannot use that train of thinking today.  I've had to change what I do,
and what I know as fact.  As RNs we are constantly updating our
knowledge.

My question is, how do we get our RN peers to do this with lactation?
It's just not happening, and I find it extremely frustrating.  I hope
someone on this list has an idea that has worked for them.  I'm willing
to try anything.  And, yes I know about honey and vinegar.  That's one
of the ways I win over the clients!

Thanks for your help!
Sue Kasten, RN, IBCLC