From:
Amy Kotler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:38:36 -0500
Thanks everyone for the advice- she is planning to call the hosp, "warm line"
but I'm not sure if she can see the IBCLC now or not- they saw her when she was
there- but I think they were not teaching the asymetric latch- which I have been
trying to get her to do- but now I think she doesn't know which advice to follow

This is why I said I feel frustrated- I was having her point nipple to nose and
somewhat roll it in, I also kept having her move the baby further down under
her breast- butt up against chair in football hold b/c she still has somewhat
of a belly- push chin in and tilt head back- she DID have some relief of the
pain with those maneuvers- maybe the baby does need some "suck training" that
is beyond me- so I hope she does get to see an IBCLC soon- she can't afford to
pay a private one- I'm afraid of doing test weight b/c I dont have the most
accurate scale and I don't want to scare mom- plus it was evening and he was
probably cluster feeding- so one feed might be less than another- he also had
been crying b/c he didn't like being undressed to get weighed and we couldn't
calm him down- so I was hoping mom would get a better latch at home- he DID
have 6 stools and a nice explosive one while feeding in the office

birth was noninstrumental- mom came soon after ROM b/c of GBS + status and
delivery was 8 hrs later

maybe there is some jaw clenching going on due to pain- anyone ever consider
giving infant tylenol? especially after a circ?

other reason that I felt frustrated is a mom who I worked with who had no pain
and was exclusively breastfeeding for the first 2 months just weaned b/c mom
went back to work and couldn't pump and just decided not to do it at night
either- and now infant is in the hospital with RSV pneumonia! :(