From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:47:37 -0500
I am posting this on behalf of Martha Grodrian (formerly Brower):

Here is the brochure that the Dayton Police are distributing in our city.
 Notice that there is not one shred of information about baby sleep position.
And you don't even have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that the
underlying belief in this article is "parents are a danger to their
children".  What a nightmare this all is...

If anyone wishes to respond to this, the following people would be
appropriate.

The coroner's office fax is (937)496-7916 and his name is James  H. Davis MD
The police department fax is (937)449-1321 to Sgt. Thomas Flanders
The Dayton Daily News Fax (editor is Max Jennings) is (937)225-2489

Thank you in advance for anything you are able to do.  How awful a trend this
could be if others towns followed our lead (ACK!!)

(If you are able to send a fax to them, would you please e-mail or fax me a
copy?  My fax is (937)293-0553 and my e-mail address is [log in to unmask]  )

Now for the brochure.....

DON'T SMOTHER YOUR BABY !!  Babies Belong in Baby Beds

(Panel 1)
THE PURPOSE OF THIS PAMPHLET

Since the beginning of the Dayton Police Department's Infant Death
Investigation Unit, a startling discovery has been made.  A large number of
infant deaths investigated by the unit have been due to accidental
smothering.

Smothering? Accidental? YES!

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN?

An adult sleeping with an infant can accidentally smother an infant.

An infant sleeping in anything other than a "safe" baby bed can smother to
death

An infant's oxygen supply can be lowered or even cut off by:

* An adult lying against the infant.
* Mattresses that are too soft (bean bags, feather beds, water beds)
* Bedding, stuffed animals, toys, or anything that cover the nose and mouth.

(next panel)
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN BREATHING STOPS?

3-4 MINUTES
*Circulation Fails
*Heart stops working properly
*Chance for resuscitation quickly becomes impossible
*Breathing efforts stop
*Heart damage, rapid, irreversible

4-5 MINUTES
*Cardiac arrest (heart stops)
*Severe brain damage

6 MINUTES
* Death

YOUR BABY CAN BE DEAD IN 6 MINUTES!

(next panel)

......BUT, I WOULD NEVER HURT MY BABY!

As in most accidental smothering cases, parents have no intention of hurting
their children.

Here is a normal sleep cycle for an adult:
*Sleep deepens for 90 minutes after falling asleep
*Most adults pass through 4 cycles of sleep.   These cycles are accompanied
by the following
**Involuntary movement occurs
**Increased muscle activity
**Unconscious rolling over
**Unconscious repositioning of arms and legs

To prevent smothering your infant, always place an infant in an appropriate
baby crib or bassinet.  That is the safest place.

BABIES BELONG IN BABY BEDS!

Back page:
special Thanks to and Endorsed by:

James H. Davis MD
Montgomery County Coroner
Dayton, Ohio
Phone (937)225-4156
Fax (937)496-7916

Special Thanks:

Katherine L. Flanders RN BSN CCRN
Good Samaritan Hospital
Dayton, OH

Dayton Police Department
335 West Third Street
Dayton, OH 45402
Phone (937)449-1000
Fax (937)449-1321
__

Thanks for anything that you can do to help.

Posted by Linda Smith, Dayton OH
(who is very grateful for Martha's research on this lunacy.)