From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:17:39 -0500
<<The most commonly missed reason for inability to absorb iron in the gut and
> thus lifelong anemia is Celiac Disease.  Stopping consumption of all gluten
> grains, [wheat oats rye & barley and their derivatives] lets the villi heal
> and can change iron status for the better.  This takes a number of months
> change and avoidance will have to be life long as there is no cure.>>

even wtih that though, there can still be issues wtih iron.  once one
is off gluten containing grains (ie fortified cereal grain products),
there is still less iron coming in than a 'typical' diet unless one is
fully aware of this and making changes.   my kids simply could not
maintain good iron status on a vegetarian diet *no matter what* and
our change ended up being

1)eating red meat
2)taking supplements
3)testing to check hgb and ferritin

it's taking more iron than I ever would have dreamed.    i used to be
of the 'we can get  all we need from food' school....everyone knows
i'm not any longer of that school:)   at least not for now.  i'd like
to get there someday again.

<< One
> must forever read all food labels for hidden wheat gluten, as some may be in
> ice creams as thickener, etc>>

in the several yrs that we've been GF, i have *never* found it in a
thickener of an ice cream.   but it can be hidden in the most obscure
places under the most obscure names.

<<Eating out is a challenge.  >>

very true.

<<No potato fries
> as they are deep fried in oil that the breaded meat is fried in also.>>

this is true sometimes, but many restaurants do have dedicated fryers
for fries.

katherine in atl