From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 19:50:12 -0700
I work at two hospitals.  One has anesthesiologists.  There is a very
high epidural rate.  Most mothers have epidurals by the time they are in
active labor and many before they are in active labor--for labor
induction with pitocin, or in early labor.  Fentanyl is the primary
analgesic used in the epidural.

At the other hospital, epidurals are much less frequent, are given
later, and are given by nurse anesthetists.  Many of them use sufenta
instead of fentanyl.

I find far fewer serious problems at the second hospital.  The problems
are primarily related to misinformation and mismanagement.  At the first
(highly interventive) hospital,  I see many more babies who just don't
seem to have a clue how to suck or who are in an inappropriate state for
feeding.

I don't have hard statistical data, but this is my impression.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA