From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:44:56 -0400
>Her pediatrician admitted the baby and told her
>the infant was too fat and this was causing the problem.  When she came to
>our support group, she was very upset and of course we reassured
>her she did
>not need to cut the baby down in feedings.  (The pediatrician had
>also warned
>that the baby would never walk if she kept up this weight gain.)

Good heavens.  I was bottle fed in 1967...not formula but whole cow's milk.
Gag.  At my six month checkup my mother asked the doctor why I wasn't
rolling over.  The doctor's reply?  "If you were that fat you wouldn't roll
over either."  I was put on my first (and only) diet that day...2% cow's
milk.  I, of course, learned to walk and was never "overweight" again,
although I don't think a 20 pound, 6 month old is overweight.

We had a HUGE baby at our meetings.  Just enormous.  The doctor was fussing
at the mother and we thought this baby was beautiful.  Massive, but
beautiful.  I saw her several months later and couldn't believe it was the
same little girl.  She had slimmed down considerably.

I find it to be more "blame the mother", over blame the method of feeding.
I think people get nervous about fat and the long term aspects of being
overweight.  But then again, people get worked up about skinny babies (and
people) as well.  My own mother, who was so worked up about my infant
obesity, is now worked up about my 120 pounds on my 5'7".  Now I'm too thin,
except when I was pregnant, then I was too fat. Give me a break.  Probably
'cause all that cow's milk screwed up my intestinal absorption.

Some babies are going to be round, some aren't!

Kathy, with three formerly fat breastfed babies who are now perfectly
average kids (except for my rail thin 8 year old)

Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
Great Mills, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]
"Parents are often so busy with the physical rearing of children that they
miss the glory of parenthood, just as the grandeur of the trees is lost when
raking leaves. ~Marcelene Cox ~