Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:02:36 -0500
Zena, I wonder if the mother ever had any clear evidence that her milk
supply truly took a sudden drop 3 weeks ago.  It seems possible that a
number of other things may have caused this 6 months old, exclusively
breastfed baby, to be fussy at the breast, other than a sudden
unexplained drop in the mother's milk supply.

How long was the baby showing fussiness before the intervention
(pumping every 1 1/2 hours!!) was started?  One possible scenario
which comes to my mind:  perhaps the baby was teething and that led to
the fussiness.  Some babies have been known to go on a "nursing
strike" related to teething pain.  Others seem to want to nurse
constantly.  Both reactions can lead a mother to question her supply.

In this mother's case, it seems possible that the frequent pumping led
to less milk being available for the baby at the breast, which would
lead to a frustrated baby who eventually prefers the bottle to the
breast.  I wonder what type of bottle is being used...is it a
slow-flow or fast-flow bottle?

I think that sometimes the "sudden loss of milk" experienced by an
exclusively breastfeeding mom needs to be examined in the context of
understanding normal infant behavior.  Does this mom have support from
other breastfeeding moms?  Sometimes the answer to a question about an
older baby is related to understanding what is normal rather than
defining the infant's behavior as a problem.

Sara Dodder Furr, MA, LLLL, IBCLC

--
MilkWorks
5930 South 58th St., Suite W

"creating a healthier community by helping mothers breastfeed their babies...."