Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 09:34:37 EDT
Cathy WG writes:

If we  use good pain relief during and  after the procedure, there's less
risk of  adverse neurological  consequences.

~~~
This is one very variable area, I find. Lots of  variation in pain relief,
practice of how to visualize and assess the  area, how the baby is held and
by  whom, instrument doing the release,  what practitioners are wearing
professionally, post-release  assessment, chagne to breastfeed in the
office
before leaving,   home pain relief, and post aftercare are all variable by
lot. One  local ENT uses no pain relief before or after. I've seen babies
actually sleep through the release she's so fast and smooth. She now
recommends
post-release stretching for all babies. Another one uses  swabs with pain
reliever before each procedure, then cauterizes with  Silver Nitrate sticks

after, but suggests no pain relief after and  recommends  no stretching.
Another uses no pain relief, and recommends  no  exercises. ( The second
two also
do only  anterior  releases.)  It seems like it's all so new that
professionals are  trying to find their own way. Since 2004, there has been
so  much
change ( 2204: When Dr. Elizabeth Coryllos, Catherine  Watson Genna and
someone
I admit I cannot remember, had that seminal article in  the  Summer AAP
newsletter for the Breastfeeding Section.  )
It's always  a challenge being on the edge of new or newish information. We

still  have quite a few busy IBCLCs who do not assess for or make
suggestions   concerning tongue-ties that are anything but the heart-shaped
ones at the
tip.  So much to learn and be  learned.

Peace,
Judy