From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:07:06 -0400
Last Tuesday night I had the great pleasure of hearing Diane Wiessinger's
presentation on latch in Kitchener, Ontario. The talk was subtitled "Breast
Sandwiches and Water Balloons" and was VERY interesting and informative.
Diane talked about how her understanding of latch had changed over time, and
gave us some new techniques to try - with plenty of illustrations and videos
to help us.

I have been using an asymmetrical latch for a long time, but Diane helped me
see a new (to me, anyway) way to help babies achieve it - I don't have my
notes here to give credit to the right person but it involves not supporting
the breast, using a finger or two to tip the nipple up and point it at or
over the baby's nose, then using the underside of the breast to rub the
baby's lips until he opens wide, when you fold (unfold?) the nipple into the
baby's mouth. This is not very clear, I know. Diane explained it much
better.

Anyway, last night a mother with a 37-week non-latching baby called, I went
out this morning armed with this technique, and it worked!! The baby (ten
days old) latched for the first time. Unfortunately, he did not nurse
especially well even once he was latched - would suck, doze off, suck again.
When the mother used breast compression he would just lie there and swallow
and still not really suck, although he was getting mouthfuls of milk (she
has a good milk supply). She then fed him EBM with a bottle and he did the
same thing - suck, long pauses, another few sucks, etc. I have seen this
before with these "just barely full-term babies" and tried to encourage her
that he will improve as he grows.

I enjoyed Diane's talk SO much and I am delighted to have something new to
use with mothers and babies.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario