From:
Kim Ann Lorber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:17:43 EDT
Sorry for the mass email but I am unable to reply individually to everyone
since this chemo continues to knock me down. I wanted to say thank you for
the  kind and overwhelming support as my family goes through this very
difficult  time.

An update on my baby is that he took about 11 oz during the first 3-4 days
that I cold turkey weaned him and then he went up to 40 oz a day! He is
now,  after 20 days of weaning, around 24-30 oz a day. He is just now in the
last  couple of days more into solid food and likes yogurt now. It is  amazing
how quickly the milk goes even though it looks like so much more than he
could ever use sitting in my deep freeze. It again as shown me how amazing
our  body is to provide such comfort and nutrition so perfectly to babies.
Also  interesting my baby hasn't shown any preference or dislike for the
various  milks. I have some look more watery and some that was full cream and he
likes it  all the same!

I was also nicely surprised when my husband took one of my other children
in for a camp physical and he told our ped. about the donor milk and he
didn't  say anything negative about it or recommend we give formula. My donors
have been  a few best friends or already screened milk donors for our local
milk bank.

Kim Ann Lorber
LLL Leader Quad Cities IA/IL
_http://cancercaughtme.blogspot.com/_ (http://cancercaughtme.blogspot.com/)

<<<<I am so sadden to hear a mother is going through this  horrible
experience. I have been recently dx with stage 3 rectal cancer and last  week I
weaned my 9 mth old to start treatment. I am not on the same schedule  that you
have listed. But I also have gotten the same info regarding 5FU but  mine
will be a 24/7 pump for 6 wks (plus 6wks radiation and currently doing
FOLFOX for 4mths), so no down time to nurse. It would seem like something could
be worked out or even at the least comfort nursing in her situation. Sorry I
 can't provide more help in that area, but feel free to pass my name/email
to  this mom if she would like to talk with another mom who is going through
 something similar.

I would be glad to answer questions or tell people about my experience.
Here is a little of what I did just so others on Lactnet can know  about what
I did incase it can be helpful.

I made the choice to do a "cold turkey weaning" (sudden) even though I had
5 wks before treatment started to do a step down weaning process. But with
the  way I nurse there was no schedule of dropping a certain nursing and I
wanted him  to have as much of nursing and breastmilk as he could. And it was
going to  hurt and upset him no matter what and I felt like dropping
nursings would just  drag out the pain for him and frustrate him (and me) longer.
We  wanted as much as normal and happy as we could get. I did introduce a
bottle during the 5 wks that had water in it so he knew what a bottle was but
 during that whole time he just chewed on the nipple letting the water go
everywhere. I also chose to give a bottle even though he was 9 mths since
babies  are supposed to be sucking and I want him to suck. I also tried to
give him a  pacifier (and still do) but he also only chews on it. Within a
couple of days he  was sucking on the bottle normally. Despite it being very
hard for a few days I  am so glad I didn't wean him earlier. I also introduced
solids during the 5 wks  and still do now but he does not take more than 1
jar of baby food in a day.  (Normal for all of my children.) During the 5 wks
I pumped to build a stash  for him but only got around 170 oz. I have also
gotten donated breastmilk from  my close friends so I can give him
breastmilk to 1 yr of age. He will be 15 mths  old when I am done with treatment and
I will nurse him again. With my other  children I nursed from 3-5 yrs so he
is very young in my mind and I want  him to nurse again like he would have
before all of this.

I have been taking sudafed for 10 days and not nursing for 8 days  and I
still have LOTS of milk. So despite that and all of this stress I  have been
under for 6 wks hasn't caused me to loose my milk  supply.>>>>