From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 21:30:03 -0900
In my experience, whenever listeners can call in to a radio show on
breastfeeding, a number of the callers will be older women who have a story
to share about how they wanted to breastfeed and were discouraged or
prevented from doing so.  These women have done a lot of grieving over many
years and feel a profound sense of loss.  We need to hear them, even though
we may have had other objectives for the program and limited time.  It is
very sad.  I have seen this repeatedly, so be prepared for this
possibility.

I find that many people are amazed when you point out that breastmilk is
flavored by what the mother eats, and forms a "flavor bridge" from amniotic
fluid (also flavored) that the fetus swallows to table foods that reflect a
family's culture and tastes.  Point out that formula-fed infants get only
one flavor that doesn't vary, while breastfed infants get a whole range of
interesting tastes and may be more willing to try a variety of foods as
toddlers.  (Susan Sullivan and Leann Birch, "Infant Dietary Experience and
Acceptance of Solid Foods, Pediatrics;93(2):271-277, February 1994.  Also
see the research of Julie Menella).  Most listeners have never really
thought about this.  It's perhaps not the most important advantage of
breastfeeding, but it is a fascinating one.  Maybe you can slip it in.

Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL leader in Madison, WI