From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 22:02:04 PST
Unfortunately, we are just as bad in the New Orleans area. Boy does the
USA need BFHI!!!!
We have about 800 deliveries per year in a community hosp in a suburb of
New Orleans LA, SE USA. There are lots of inductions and about 30%
c-section rate. Epidurals are the norm. Then the babies can bf after
birth and stay with the moms about 1/2 to 1 hr. Some babies don't bf
right away and go directly to nursery. The assessment, vital signs q 15
min x 4 are done, routine heelstick for glucose is done and if <40 they
are fed (sometimes go out to bf or else get d5w). They get the eye
prophylaxis and the vit k shot. Wts, lenghts, etc. They can return to
the family after bath and warmed up again. They do return to nsy from
7-9a for dr visits, photos, etc. They return to nsy for lab work like
pku test. I know they are weighed at nite, so assume they return to nsy
for that. Many babes spend the nite in the nsy and are fed by nurses.
Again, some nurses do seem to encourage this. We  of course recommend
rooming-in and keep your babies at nite. We have a long way to go.

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
hosp LC
Violet Louisiana, USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]