From:
Joanne McCrory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 1999 19:25:08 -0500

Just last week I attended a seminar on parenting, building  relationships
and  emotional communication and as part of my graduate work in child
development, specializing in infancy.  It was quite informative and I have
attached my personal notes here. ( also includes practical info on educating
parents)

The message was that there are biological roots as well as psychological
and discretionary elements in terms of parenting.  Infant brain development
is an primary component. The ways in which babies develop and what their
needs are should be at the forefront of the discussion.  We have a lot more
information on that now than ever.  Cultural practices overlay our
biological origins, but do not replace or negate them.  In other words,
there ARE optimal elements in parenting.

While  respecting the wide variety of parenting styles, I do not feel
conflicted about presenting information to parents about the ways in which
their children develop.  Presented this way, the information is usually
pretty well received.  We now have data to support what used
to be theory.  As it turns out, much of the theory on attachment is
supported by the current data, which is quite gratifying.  I think it is
important to help parents have current, quality information on which to base
their opinions.

Joanne McCrory