From:
Elaine Ziska <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:40:18 EST
In a message dated 12/21/98 6:10:19 PM Central Standard Time, Naomi writes:

<<  In general, I don't think pediatricians know more than
 a reasonably well read layperson about developmental issues
 in general. The history of pediatrics as a specialty is very interesting.
 Historically, most of what they do are "procedures" and information that
 women did among themselves for centuries. At some point that became
 specialized
 knowledge. I have always wondered what my ped knows about discipline and
 allowances etc that I don't. >>

Hey, I get every bit as frustrated ya'll do and agree that peds should be
better educated about breastfeeding, but I value my ped's take on
developmental issues.  This is not to say that I always agree, and I certainly
differentiate between *medical* advice and *parenting* advice - but I only
have experience with two children, our doctor has known ?2000?  Perhaps it
became "specialized knowledge"   when people stopped having large families and
stopped settling down near extended family.  Grandma and Great Grandma are not
nearby to tell us that cousin Jimmy was also insecure at age 5, or that auntie
Tina was a late talker, or that all the children on the Smith side of the
family are talented swimmers.  I'm a reasonably well *read* person, but there
is something to be said for talking over the issues with someone who has
*seen* them firsthand.

Our pediatrician has been an important ally as David and I learn to be
parents.  He isn't anywhere near perfect as a breastfeeding advocate, but he
is willing to listen and learn...and last week he promised to get the Ross
books out of the lobby :-)!  Until Dr. Jack relocates I'm going to be grateful
for that much.

Elaine Ziska, LLLL
Jackson, MS
where it was a balmy 70 degrees today but they say it will be 25 degrees
tomorrow.