From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:53:08 -0700
I was glad to hear that a TV show brought up adoptive nursing, and that a
doc would inform a mom that she could do it, but I couldn't help being a bit
miffed at the thought of the doc saying "oh, I see the medication worked".
This mother would obviously have been putting alot of effort into it,
probably a very great deal of effort in the beginning, just to get the baby
(who, having been adopted from Russia, was probably 6 months old or more) to
the breast!  All the domperidone would have done was increase milk
production, to some extent.  This mother could definitely have nursed
without the domperidone, but not without the effort she put into it!

Just had to point that out!  I am more and more concerned, all the time,
about the fact that the current popularity of drug use in induced lactation
is turning the act of breastfeeding an adopted baby into a medical
procedure, with emphasis on the amount of milk that can be extracted from
the breast, rather than the beautiful, natural, emotionally and spiritually
beneficial experience, for both mom and baby, that it should be!

Aloha,
Darillyn Starr
adoptive mom of six