From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 00:08:16 -0400
Hi All!
Jay here.  I just came upon a handout I got just before my baby was born last
year.  It was given to me by the OB office at the hospital I had my son at.
 Tell me what you think of these statements.  These are direct quotes.

Re: Breastfeeding
"Support:  Breast-feeding is convenient, but may not be uncomplicated
initially.  Support and encouragement from your partner, friends, family
members and your baby's doctor is critical.  Since your partner is unable to
feed the baby he may feel excluded from infant care.  Involve him in other
aspects of infant care, such as bathing.

Preperation:  Because nursing ties you so closely to your baby, you may feel
tied down.  Also, you may feel uncomfortable about nursing in public or
handling your breasts: and perhaps, you may worry about leakage of breast
milk.  If you decide to nurse, prepare yourself to deal with these concerns."

"* Check to see that your nipples are suitable. ....  Nipples that invert or
are flat may make breast feeding difficult.  A plastic dome-shaped breast cup
in your bra caan help to correct an inverted nipple (e.g. Medela Breast
Sheilds) ..."

In Re: to Bottle feeding

" Commercial formulas are an alternative to breast-feeding.  You may be less
likely to feel tied down while bottle-feeding--someone else can always feed
the baby--and bottle feeding can allow your partner to share in the
responsibility of feeding the baby.  Bottle feeding presents no danger to
your baby's health or to your relationship with your baby."

Ok.  I know what I think of several of these statements, how about you?
  Funny thing is, that had I known then what I know now, I'd have been asking
my OB (who is very pro BF, BTW) to change the tone and several of the
statements.  Especially the ones about the formula.

Look forward to hearing your comments.  Any ideas on how to go about changing
this type of handout now?

Jay
LC2B!