From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:35:07 EST
I wonder when folks here on Lactnet talk about a "high breastfeeding rate",
are they talking about following up mothers and babies after discharge from
the hospital and those dyads are continuing to breastfeed?  Here, there is no
tool for following up- so a nurse at a local hospital might think that there
is a high breastfeeding rate because she can check off "breastfeeding" on the
chart, but in fact the mom comes home and is *not* nursing- happens ALL the
time!!!  That's when I get the call.
  Lisa Jones in Wellington FL - also a volunteer survey-taker for the first
tracking tool our county has had, ever, to see if moms are breastfeeding
"still" at six months postpartum.  The sad answer to that is almost 98%
*no*(guesstimating the %, but I am awfully close!)