From:
Joyce Blangiardo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:03:49 UT
My Lamaze moms phoned in soon after the soap "Guiding Light" started this
morning, urging me to watch.  (My media patrol always alerts me to birth and
breastfeeding topics!)  Did anyone else catch it?
I tuned in just prior to Holly's last 2 pushes.  The MD comments to the nurse
that the baby needs to be delivered, referring to its heartbeat.  RN says
she'll get an OR prepped for a cesarean.  MD says "You don't know Holly".
Holly pushes twice and delivers her daughter.  The doctor tells her she'll
have the nurse give her something for pain.  The nurse presents the pain pill.
 Holly protests.  A visitor suddenly arrives and says "You'll need it when the
epidural wears off" and Holly takes it.  Reluctantly.  But she takes it.  She
does not appear to be in any physical pain at all. If the MD's comment was
meant to imply some quality about Holly, why did she so readily agree to take
pain meds at this point?  To me, the tone implied Holly's
determination.....maybe I'm reading too much into it.  Tonight's Lamaze class
will probably need to discuss this.
Of note, too, is that the baby girl has Down's Syndrome - and the baby was
whisked off to the nursery to be examined and "tested by a team of experts".
The mom did NOT get to hold her daughter, and barely got a glimpse of her.
Breastfeeding?  No mention of the word.  Tomorrow's breastfeeding class now
has something to discuss too!  Is this a case of quick fix (medication)
instead of someone giving TENDER LOVING CARE and SUPPORT to this new mom whose
just birthed a baby with Downs Syndrome and had her whisked away?  Or am I
jumping to conclusions too quickly?   Anyone want to speculate on whether this
little girl will be breastfed?  Will she be visited by an LC?  Comments,
please!!!

Joyce Blangiardo RN, FACCE, IBCLC
Not a viewer, but wondering if this is how soaps get you hooked,  will she or
won't she BF?  Will she have new mother blues?  PPD?
Just wondering here in Rockville Centre, Long Island, NY