From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 08:55:51 -0400
>is it just me who has trouble when I'm reading about nursing, as in
feeding,
and then nursing as in working as a nurse?
as we've said before, in Australia, to nurse an infant just means to hold
them on your lap. and nurses working in maternity hospitals are midwives,
so
it doesn't get so confusing.
this is not meant as a criticism - but just a language thing.
Lisa Amir, Melbourne, Australia

As an expat Brex patving in upstate NY, USA, I can certainly sympathize!
When I first moved to the States to get married in 1973, I thought that
people said *nursing*
because *breastfeeding* was not an acceptable word, at least in the
newspapers. When my first baby was born I made a point of using
*breastfeeding*, because to me, nursing a baby meant rocking it. It took
me quite a while to realize that while most mothers here still start out
*breastfeeding* - i.e., feeding the baby at the breast, *nursing*
encompasses a great deal more. *Nursing* is nurturing, a whole way of
mothering. One day you wake up and wonder how you could possibly take
care of your baby WITHOUT breastfeeding, and that is when you realize
that you are nursing. One of my favourite questions from mothers is *How
will I be able to get my baby to sleep after he weans?* The answer, of
course, is that when he weans he won't need to nurse to sleep :)

Now I've got that straight in my head, I still need to work on my
Americanized spelling...or should that be Americanised?

Norma Ritter, IBCLC
private practice in Big Flats, NY