From:
Carrolls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:15:06 -0400
>From: Carrolls <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: inducing lactation as a health measure

Wow,

I just had a weird call....seems like something to talk to Kathy Dettwyler
about.
This woman is a 41 year old single woman. She is adopting a 9 year old girl
in a few months. In her reading about adoption, apparently she kept reading
about the benefits of breast feeding for both the woman and the child. She
has a family history of osteoporosis and breast cancer. She has
endometriosis.
She wants to induce lactation to inhance her own health. I didn't get the
impression she wanted to give the milk to the child or breastfeed her, but,
I was really afraid to ask.
I felt really weird but, the more I think about it, maybe she has a point.
I am really glad I breastfed my children, for their health and for mine. I
guess it's her business what she does with the pump. She is on progesterone
mini pills. Will this hurt or help the potential for milk supply? I've
worked with lots of adoptive moms and haven't had them be great milk
producers but, they did produce some.  I actually discouraged her because
of the expense and time involved and because most of the benefits don't
even show up unless you've breastfed years, not months.
I just want feedback. I hate that I'm not going to ILCA tomorrow.
Patti Carroll, RN, IBCLC