From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:17:53 +0200
Like the rest of you my stomach turned (again ;-(  ) when I read Dr Grodon's
post on the book. But at least she has saved me and I hope others the $13.95
purchase price.

Susan C. Jacoby posted

"Advertising is a powerful force in American culture. It exists to sell
products and services"

I read this in last weeks NewScientist and think it might be of interest to
many of you:

"It is what every advertiser would have dreamed of - brand names have a
unique impact on our brains.
Brand names engage the "emotional", right-hand side of the brain more than
other words, new experiments suggest. And they are more easily recognised
when they are in capital letters.

"It is surprising," says Eran Zaidel, head of the University of California
in Los Angeles laboratory where the research was conducted. "The rules that
apply to word recognition in general do not necessarily apply here."

Robert Jones, head of consulting at the brand strategists Wolff Olins in
London, told New Scientist: "This is very intriguing indeed. It supports our
instinctive belief that brands are a special class of word - they are like a
poem all in one word in their ability to evoke and express ideas."

So putting your brand logo on a breastfeeding book (and especially one
endorsed by the AAP) is the smartest move Ross has probably made in years -
from their point of view of course. Its better than any pamphlet about their
new 'singing and dancing' formula. It's the most sneeky, dishonest form of
advertising because it means they can be ever-so "nice" about breastfeeding
by using this book which makes mothers think that formula isn't ever-so-bad
afterall.

I've also been wondering what the editor in chief of this book. She/He is an
MD but also and IBCLC according to the AAP website. This makes the Ross book
even more stomach churning. Does anybody know the editor????????

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands (where formula advertising is also rife, depsite have a law
that takes in part of the WHO code - i.e. advertising for under 6 months)