From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:39:51 -0800
denise asked, "But I am not sure about what to
suggest... did someone have a situation
like this? do you have suggestions on what to say to
this mother?"

My older daughter did the same sort of thing.  She
weaned sometime around 4 or after her 4th birthday,
with gentle discouragement from me.  A year after her
brother was born she asked to nurse again, and I let
her.  she had to be re-taught; I figured if she really
wanted to do it, she should at least do it properly.
I'd always thought she had weaned too early....

then we were on the dr phil show for extended
breastfeeding and a lot of people thought, "well, she
weaned earlier so now she is just taking advantage of
her  indulgent mother."  The people who think that
tend to think of weaning as a single point in time,
not a process.  If I view it as a process for Ursula,
I'm more comfortable with having her nurse.

having said that, the mother clearly needs to be
comfortable with the limits she sets for her son.

=====
Kate Hallberg,  http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html  Mom to Ursula (8!), Sage (5.5) and Benno (23 mos)    "Happy the man with a nursing child, for he has a singing wife." - German proverb