From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:44:02 +1000
Anne Clements's posting on an instance of an ill adult man being nourished
on his wife's breastmilk in a recent historical book, will probably bring
out other examples from lactnetters.  One I recall well, was a 'First Person
Award' article in the Reader's Digest in the early/mid- 1960s.  Sorry I
don't have the article now, nor the date.  The man was an American
serviceman shot down in Papua New Guinea.  He became ill with a severe
infection and could not keep down any food. He could easily have died. The
village headman found a remedy - he organised for his wife to express a
cupful of breastmilk and bring it to the hut.  The US serviceman kept down
the brestmilk and began to improve.  Breastmilk was supplied till he was on
the mend.
    I just came back onto Lactnet today, for a few days.
     Cheers,
       Virginia
        in Brisbane.